Covering News And Entertainment.
In the early 1950s Truman Capote became further involved in the performing arts. He was approached once again by producer Saint Subber, who was interested in his recent story House of Flowers: would he be interested in adapting the work as a musical play for Broadway? Despite the difficulties they had had in turning The Grass Harp into a stage play, Capote agreed for a second time to collaborate with producer Saint Subber and set to work. Much of the writing was done in the Italian fishing village of Portofino; but Capote and Jack Dunphy found time to travel to Switzerland and Paris before turning to America, where Capote met again with producer Saint Subber and continued his work in the musical. After a Philadelphia try-out, the show opened on Broadway on December 30, 1954 at the Alvin Theatre and played for 165 performances. The director was Peter Brook. The cast included Pearl Bailey, Diahann Carroll, Juanita Hall, Ray Walston, Carmen de Lavallade, Alvin Ailey and Geoffrey Holder. Dance arrangements by Peter Matz; choreographed by Herbert Ross; banda dance choreographed by Geoffrey Holder; George Balanchine was the choreographer for the film version. The music director was Jerry Arlen; music orchestrated by Ted Royal; vocal arrangements by Peter Matz; scenic design by Oliver Messel; costume design by Oliver Messel; lighting design by Jean Rosenthal. The dance-rhythm infused score has been praised for its mix of blues and calypso. Most of the original orchestral score by Ted Royal has been lost, but the piano score survives. Oliver Messel won the Tony Award for Best Scenic Design, the show’s only nomination. Michael Alexander was the lead player of the steel-drum threesome, the members of which were recruited from Trinidad by cast member Geoffrey Holder. The three pannists were Michael Alexander, Roderick Clavery and Alphonso Marshall. The original cast recording includes “A Sleepin’ Bee” and “Don’t Like Goodbyes.”